Saturday, August 3, 2013

Tasty 30 minute Focaccia


            Every so often research is required while preparing for my next adventure. My first attempt at focaccia was a failure. I did not do enough research. I tried to grab yeast from the air over night. I may have succeeded in my task, however I will never know. Another tidbit I had found was heating your yeast in a microwave can help to cut the proofing time. If you attempt this keep your microwave on the lowest power for no more than a few seconds. I cooked my “starter.” So for now I’m sticking to store bought yeast.
            I will try again, when I have a better understanding of yeast. My failed focaccia did make a lovely biscuit. Try to find the positives even in mistakes. Along your journey to self-sufficiency there will be many. My second attempt at focaccia I used rapid rise yeast. It came out light and fluffy and bubbly. That is how focaccia is supposed to be. I like my focaccia well seasoned with onions and cheddar. Find the recipe below and keep checking back. I will be making thirty-minute mozzarella, a variety of pastas, and a lot of bread. Many easy recipes to come.

Focaccia for Two (or more)

1 cup all purpose flour 
½ packet of rapid rise yeast
2 ½ tablespoons of warm water (110 degrees)
4 pinches of sugar
3 teaspoons of olive oil

Toppings

½ Vidalia onion (chopped)
Garlic powder to taste
3 table spoons of cheddar grated (or to taste)
Italian seasoning
Pinch of salt

Combine the yeast and two and a half tablespoons of water with four pinches of sugar. Allow it to sit somewhere warm for about 10 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 450 for an electric oven. Between 400 – 425 for a gas oven.

 The yeast will eat the sugar. You may see a small bubbles forming as the yeast activates. The next step is to combine the sugar, water, and yeast mixture with the flour. Slowly add in water until it begins to form sticky dough. Once you have a nice ball of sticky dough transfer it to a greased bowl and allow it to sit somewhere warm for thirty minutes. (I left it on my oven as I preheated it.)

Over the next half an hour you will see your dough double in size.

Take two teaspoons of olive oil and grease your pan. When your half an hour is done take your dough ball and stretch it across your pan. Now it is time for the toppings. You can add whatever your like. Place the above on for a great garlic bread focaccia.

Place the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, onions, grated cheese and a pinch of salt.
Cook for 15-20 minutes. Since I was working with a gas oven my focaccia was baked in 10.

Once it comes out of the oven place it on a cooling rack and drizzle lightly with the remaining teaspoons of olive oil. Once cool to the touch serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment